Building A New Home?

Please follow the steps below to obtain the following documents to submit with your building application.  These steps are meant to be used in conjunction with the application checklist at the bottom of the page.


1. Contact Your Municipality

Some municipalities require town board approval.  Some municipalities have comprehensive town plans that must be taken into consideration.  You are required to get town board approval if you are building in the Town of Maiden Rock or  the Town of Spring Lake.


2. Obtain a Driveway Permit

All new homes need  either a driveway application or a copy of an approved driveway permit (from the municipality) turned in with the new house building application.  If you are building in the towns of Clifton, Hammond, Kinnickinnic, Richmond, Oak Grove, or the Village of Baldwin, you will obtain a driveway permit from us.  If you are building in any other municipality you will get your driveway permit from them.  IF YOU DON'T THINK A DRIVEWAY PERMIT IS REQUIRED, WE WILL STILL NEED SOMETHING IN WRITING FROM THE MUNICIPALITY SUBMITTED TO US WITH YOUR APPLICATION SAYING A DRIVEWAY PERMIT IS NOT REQUIRED.  We can accept a printed copy of an email from the municipality stating a permit is not required.   


3. Obtain a Sanitary Permit

Your licensed plumber will apply to the county in which you are building in unless you are connecting to village or city sewer. In that case, you will contact the Village/City Administrator.


4. Obtain a Land Use/Zoning Permit  

(Note: A Land Use or Zoning permit is NOT the same as a building permit.)


If you are building in St. Croix County (with the exception of the Village of Baldwin, the Village of Spring Valley, the Village of Wilson or the Town of St. Joseph)  we will need a copy of your issued Land Use Permit or documentation that one is not required.    The documentation can be a copy of an email.  

If you are in Pierce County (with the exception of the City of Prescott, Town of River Falls, Village of Elmwood,  Village of Spring Valley, or the Village of Ellsworth or located in an ETZ zone)   you will get your Land Use permit from Pierce County Land Use and Zoning. 


If you are in a Village (other than the Village of Ellsworth) or a City, please contact the zoning administrator of that City or Town for information about land use/zoning permits.  

If you are in the Town of River Falls, please contact the zoning administrator for a Land Use/ Zoning permit.

If you are in the Town of St. Joseph, you will need an Interim Zoning Exemption Form.  Please see the St. Joseph website for more information on obtaining the waiver. 

If you are in the Village of Ellsworth or the ETZ area, All Croix Inspections administrates the zoning.  


5. Braced Wall Detail

Clearly indicate the description of the circumscribed boxes, the placement of the wall bracing on your plans, the method used, the calculated amount of wall bracing REQUIRED and the amount of wall bracing PROVIDED.  Braced wall detail is required for a house that is a slab on grade.  If you are intending to use SIPS, please have a copy of the engineering.  If you are building a "shouse" with posts in the ground, the braced wall detail is not needed.  


6.  Building Plans

Building plans must have information as required by the WI UDC.  This includes site plan, floor plans (including braced wall detail) and floor elevations. Please see the code for more details. 


7. Certified Survey Map (CSM) or Plat Map &  Site Plan

Your certified survey map or plat map (which can be obtained from the County) should show the setbacks for the property as well as any easements or pre-platted driveways.  We do not want the house stake out plan.  We want the official map showing setbacks.  If this is not available, than a copy of an email from the county you are located in listing the setbacks will suffice.  

In addition to the CSM or Plat map, a site plan is required.  This should detail house placement, any other structure locations, the well location, septic area, drainage easements, property easements, driveway location, utility placement and any other pertinent information.  All distances must be clearly labeled to determine if setbacks are met. This includes distances from the new house to any roads,  lot lines,  well, septic, driveway, easements and any other other structures   You may also show # 8 Erosion Control on this site map

        8. Erosion Control 

This should show lot dimensions, easements (public & private), location of dwelling and any other buildings,  storm water measures if over 1 acre disturbed, location of wells and disposal systems (septic) on the property and all property lines. Include proposed driveway location and % of driveway slope.You may also include your Standard Erosion Control methods on this site plan or you can complete the Standard Erosion Control packet.  


8. Variances

If you were issued any variances by the State, County, Village, City, or Town, please submit a copy with your building application and other necessary documents.


9. RESCheck Compliance Documentation

Complete the RESCheck Compliance documentation to submit with your building application and other documents. You will need to supply a copy of the IECC report AND a copy of the Heating Equipment Sizing Summary or the UDC 2009 report.   Note: Pierce and St Croix Counties are located in Zone 6.


10. Cautionary Statement to Owners Obtaining Building Permits

Complete the Cautionary Statement if you are an owner acting as your own general contractor or if your builder does not have a Dwelling Contractor Qualifier License (not to be confused with a regular Dwelling Contractor License) valid in the state of WI. 

St. Croix County 
Community Development EMAIL
Pierce County
Land Management


You are now ready to fill out the WI UDC Application.  Please submit the completed application with the necessary documentation.  Remember, we can not accept or "hold" incomplete applications.

© 2023 by Name of Site. Proudly created with