For more information on WI State Commercial Building Code, 

Commercial Building Application Procedure




Please provide a copy of the following documentation when submitting your building application: 


  • Driveway Permit

​Exit to Town Roads; permit application needed from the township.
Exit to County Roads; obtain permit application from County HWY Department
Exit to State HWY; obtain permit from Wisconsin Department of Transportation – Eau Claire.

  • Sanitary Permit

Obtain through St. Croix County Zoning office (715)-386-4680 or Pierce County Land Management (715)-273-6747 by a licensed installer. If connecting to Village/City Sewer contact Village/City administrator.

  • Land Use Permit

Obtain from St. Croix County Zoning office if your project is located in a shore land / river way area within St Croix County. Call (715)-386-4680 if you are not sure.
Obtain from Pierce County Land Management office (715)-273-6747 for all new construction or additions to existing buildings located in Pierce County. If property is located within the Village of Ellsworth ETZ (Town of Trimbelle or Town of Ellsworth) then approval is required from All Croix Inspections.

  • State Plan Approval Letter and State-Stamped Plans

If state plan approval is required per SPS 361.30 then bring a copy of state approved building plans along with a copy of plan approval letter from the state. You must have a copy of the state approved plans/letter upon submittal of building application or it will not be accepted.  

  • A Certified Survey Map (CSM) or Plat

​Obtain from County. Show lot dimensions, easements (public & private), location of project and any other buildings, wells and disposal systems (septic) on the property and all property lines. Include proposed driveway location and % slope.


  • Two sets of building plans

  • Variances issued by the State, County, Village, City, or Town

​Please include a copy with your application. Separate emails will not be accepted.


​Obtain from the DNR if disturbing more than one acre of land

Name, address, phone number and license number of all your contractors (General Contractor, HVAC contractor, Master Electrician and Master Plumbing Licenses.)

​Fill out all applicable areas including the CUBIC Footage measurements.  See WI State Code for the calculation volume below.

SPS 361.30(5)

Calculating total building volume. Total building volume shall be determined by calculating the cubic footage of space enclosed within the outer surfaces of the building's outside or enclosing walls and the space between the upper most surface of the roof and the underside of the lowest floor of a building. The outer surface of structures or portions of structures without enclosed walls shall be established by projecting vertical planes from the outer surface of exterior supports or columns. The total building volume shall be calculated on structures with interior supports by establishing a vertical plane projected from the farthest roof projection. Roof overhangs less than 24 inches from a vertical wall may not be included in the calculation. Total building volume shall include the cubic footage of space in dormers, penthouses, vaults, pits, enclosed porches, and other enclosed appendages to the building.


All Commercial Electric Permits must be obtained thru the state as of Jan.1, 2020.

Click Here for State Info

© 2023 by Name of Site. Proudly created with