top of page

SOLAR Arrays

Residential and Commercial

Application Procedure

Please submit the documentation below:


1. Construction Drawings 

  • Construction plan showing PV array configuration, wiring system, overcurrent protection, inverter, disconnects, required signs, AC connection to building, and attachment detail for roof mounted or footing details for ground mounted.

  • Plans for installations on commercial buildings need to be engineer stamped

2. Spec Sheets & Installation Manuals 

  • Include specification sheets and installation manuals for all manufactured components including, but not limited to PV modules, inverters, combiner box, disconnects, and mounting system

3.  Site Plan​ 

  • Required for ground mounted arrays

  • Include distances from array to centerlines or road right of ways, property lines, and/or other structures


 4. Certified Survey Map or Complete Plat Map 

  • Must be the recorded document from the Register of Deeds (Ask the Register of Deeds if there is a CSM OR Complete Plat Map available for the lot.  If there is a plat map, you will need the COMPLETE PLAT MAP.) 

  • If a CSM or Plat map is not available, contact the zoning administrator for property classification and corresponding setbacks, etc.   

5. Zoning Permit- Required unless the project location is in a Village or City 

  • Required in Pierce County​ (aka Land Use permit)

  • Only required in St. Croix County in certain circumstances.  Please check with Community Development at St. Croix County.   In the town of St. Joseph, you need a zoning permit from the zoning administrator for the town for all ground mount arrays .  

  •  For  Zoning Contact Information, click here.

6. Town Board Variances/Waivers​, if applicable

  • If any were required, you must provide a copy of meeting minutes or board letter of approval stating the conditions of the approval

7. Solar Array Application​

  • Complete and submit with the above required documents.  Please note, if you are a Solar Installation Company, you must have a valid WI dwelling contractor license AND  a valid WI dwelling contractor qualifier license to sign this application.  If you do not have these licenses, the homeowner must sign the permit application and also a Cautionary Statement.



Upload Completed Electrical Certificate for Final Inspection

bottom of page