Do I Need A Permit for My Project?

Each municipality varies by price and type of project as far as what is required for permitting, but you can assume that any project that changes occupancy, area, structural strength, fire protection, exits, light or ventilation is going to need a building permit.   

To be certain, we encourage you to email our office with the details of your project, the cost associated with it (RS Means), and your address.  That way, you will not find yourself in a non-compliant building situation and at risk of fines. 

I  Need a Permit...Now What?

Please follow the steps below to obtain the necessary

documents to submit for your residential alteration/addition.

Residential Building Permit Application

  • Filled out in its entirety, signed, and dated.

Subcontractor List

  • Please include the name, contact details, and license numbers of the subs you are hiring.   Sub-contractors must be licensed in Wisconsin.


Cautionary Statement

  • We must have this for homeowners doing their own work or hiring a contractor that does not have a valid Dwelling Contractor Qualifier License in the State of WI.


Floor Plans

  • Floor plans can be hand drawn but please include labels with room use, room sizes, door sizes, and window size.

Construction plans

  • Provide proper detailing of building dimensions, material types, spans, sizes, spacing.  In lieu of professional blueprints, the Building Cross Section Aid may be submitted.

Copy of a Sanitary Permit or Occupancy Affidavit

  • If you are adding a bedroom, you will also need to provide us with a copy of your sanitary permit showing how many bedrooms your septic is rated for. 

  • If adding a bedroom puts you over your septic rating, you will need to obtain an Occupancy affidavit from the County in which the project is located.

CSM (Certified Survey Map) or Plat Map showing setbacks

  • Obtain from the county

Site Plan

  • If you are adding on to your house or adding anything on your property where nothing existed,  (i.e. changing the footprint) we need a detailed site plan showing setbacks, etc.


Land Use From County

  • Pierce County-must obtain a Land Use from the county (with the exception of the Town of River Falls, the Village of Elmwood, the Village of Spring Valley, or the Town of Ellsworth ETZ zone ) if you are adding anything outside of the walls of your home

  • St. Croix County-needed if you are near wetlands, drainage easement, etc. *If it is questionable, we require documentation stating that it is not required.

Did you know?

RS Means is a division of Reed Business Information that provides cost information to the construction industry so contractors in the industry can provide accurate estimates and projections for their project costs.

There are other free websites that can also help you evaluate the cost of your job.

Examples of Residential Alterations

Electrical Service Upgrade

Basement Finish

Attached Garage

Enlarging Windows and/or Doors

Adding a Fireplace

Screen/4 Season Porch

Kitchen Remodel

Bath Remodel


© 2023 by Name of Site. Proudly created with